This is a tutorial on how to easily build a bootable USB with your copy of Windows 8 or Windows 7.
What you will need
- A copy of Windows. An ISO file of it. If you have the disk, you will have to make an ISO copy of it.
- A Thumb drive / USB drive of 4gb or more. You should be able to easily find these for under $10
- “Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool” This is a free app supplied found here LINK 1 and here Link 2
- Make sure you have your ISO file ready.
- Your USB drive is plugged in and in a format that your computer can read.
- You have installed the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool
Let’s Get Started
Step 1: Launch your instillation of “Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool”. You will be greeted by the image below asking you to locate your ISO file of Windows 8 or Windows 7. Click “Browse” and navigate to your file. Once it is selected, click “Next”.
Step 2: Now you will have to tell the application that you will be making a USB copy of your Windows instillation. Select “USB Device”.
Step 3: Click on the drop down box and select the USB drive that you will be coping Windows to. Once you have done that, click “Begin copying”.
Step 4: The program will warn you that the drive you have elected will have to be formatted and all data on it will be erased. Select “Erase USB Device”.
Step 5: The program will warn AGAIN that all of the data on the USB device will be erased. Select “Yes”.
Step 6: It will finally begin to format and copy over all of the instillation files. This will take some time and will vary between machines. Mine takes about 20 minutes.
Step 7: All done! Time to plug it into your instillation machine and make sure your computer boots from USB first. ENJOY!